Thursday, January 17, 2013

NRA Fights Legislation That Would Ban Gun Sales To Those Currently On Killing Sprees (The Onion)

I've discovered that not everyone knows The Onion is a satirical operation, and this pseudo-news report sounds all too realistic, so it might be worth noting explicitly that it's a PARODY!  But reality is pretty bizarre in this case, too.

(The ad that comes before the video clip is unfortunate, but just suffer through it.)


NRA Fights Legislation That Would Ban Gun Sales To Those Currently On Killing Sprees

=> UPDATE:  One response to this post was an e-mail message from my friend Jim Robins, which I quote with his permission:
You might be interested in an experience I had a few years ago.  I ordered some boots from an outdoor catalogue operation that mainly sells gear to hunters and fisherman.  A couple of months later, I received a letter welcoming me to NRA membership with a regular membership card enclosed.  No requests for dues, not a solicitation to join.  I had simply been made a member.

People would do well to be a bit more wary of the NRA's claimed multi-million member base.  I have no idea how many names they have bought and enrolled.
Yes, that should make us more curious.
I wonder if they got the idea from Mormon posthumous baptisms of holocaust victims?
I suspect that NRA supporters won't like that analogy (or Mormons, either), but it's an intriguing (though undoubtedly ironic) hypothesis.

—Jeff Weintraub